Monday, November 3, 2008

mom's chat/lesson

so i called my mom expecting to give her an update of what i've been doing...or what i did today, i think i called her two days ago too, lol. i'm like that; don't judge me.

anyway, i told her about all this drama on my dad's side of the family and she cleared up the situation for me and gave me a little lesson:

"families should have boundaries. what's yours is yours, what's mine is mine. keep everything clear. you don't meddle in their affairs. you do what you need to do there. if they want you to pay rent, it's fine. you're living there, so you should pay rent. this is reasonable."

okay, good.

then we started talking about how my uncle got really angry by watching taiwanese people call the China representative "zhong guo zhu", which means "Chinese pig." i thought it was hilarious how taiwanese people are so ridiculous. i told my mom that and this is the subsequent conversation that ensued:

mom: "there's one word you will use a lot in taiwan: unbelievable. you will not believe some of the things that happen there. maybe not for some of the more educated who have seen more, but there are many others who haven't."
me: "oh great. why didn't you tell me sooner. but this happens in any country, right?"
mom: "exactly. that is why i think it's good for you to go out and learn. live there and learn how to deal with those kind of people. learn how to deal with your family, how to get along with them. go out and observe, but be careful. there are a lot of people who will trick you in taiwan. just remember that whatever is not yours, is not yours. they prey on people with greedy hearts, and pray often, pray wherever you go."
me: you know that blue 5 bus? (lol) well, even when it goes up the mountain, the driver drives like he's in the fast and the furious III.
mom: oh okay. then you need to pray. (lol)

<3 such a wise mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment